Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Behind the Books: Nonfiction Voice, Part 2

As I’ve been reading widely and thinking about nonfiction voice, I’ve discovered a category of book that surprised me. I’m calling it “neutral voice.”

In these books, usually created by an author-illustrator, the text is straightforward with little or no identifiable voice. Why? Because the art and design take center stage. They are so dynamic, so innovative that they do all the heavy lifting while the text fades into the background, playing a supporting role.


Books with a Neutral Voice


Coral Reef by Jason Chin


Eye to Eye by Steve Jenkins


Frogs by Nic Bishop


Move by Steve Jenkins & Robin Page


My First Day by Steve Jenkins & Robin Page


Neo Leo by Gene Barretta


Now & Ben by Gene Barretta


Redwoods by Jason Chin


Timeless Thomas by Gene Baretta



No comments:

Post a Comment