Droughts and Other Disasters: A Scientific American Reader
“With your permission,” began a letter to the editors of this magazine published in 1855 (), “I will lay before you numerous and scientific readers what I imagine to be the cause of drought. I believe it is caused by the burning of coal; that the smoke arising therefrom is injurious to vegetation, to the soil, to the air and to the clouds.” The editors replied, haughtily but justifiably, “Our correspondent has not given us a single reason for his belief in coal smoke being the cause of drought….”
1. “,” by Jeff Masters (December 2014)
2. “,” by Peter H. Gleick and Matthew Heberger (January 2012)
3. “,” by John A. Carey (December 2011)
4. “,” by Alex de Sherbinin, Koko Warner and Charles Ehrhart (January 2011)
5. “,” by Michael E. Webber (February 2015)
see also:
Comments
Post a Comment