Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Rise of the Tyrants

“Go ahead and pick one up if you like.” It was 1996. In front of me was a box of fossils, many millions of years old. I was visiting the laboratory of Paul Sereno, a University of Chicago paleontologist, while reporting a feature article. Reaching in, I lifted a sepia-tinted bone, about six inches long and blade-shaped. It was oddly heavy in my hand from the mineralization that had occurred over millennia. I ran my thumb along one side. Oops—still quite sharp! Instantly my mind conjured a mouthful of these remorseless fangs in a human-sized skull owned by a . A chill ran up my spine.


How did become the towering predator of the Cretaceous? As paleontologist Stephen Brusatte writes in this issue's cover story, “,” in the past 15 years nearly 20 new finds have been remaking our understanding of this theropod (“beast-footed”) dinosaur. “The king of the dinosaurs,” Brusatte asserts, “far from belonging to a dynasty of giant predators, actually had rather humble roots and was merely the last survivor of a startling variety of tyrannosaurs that lived across the globe right up until the asteroid impact 66 million years ago that brought the dinosaur era to a close and ushered in the Age of Mammals.”


Considering the rise and fall of the “tyrant lizard,” I suppose I will not be the only one to recall Romantic poet Percy Bysshe Shelley's famous sonnet “Ozymandias,” which is about an ancient king whose once great works have all been erased over the passage of a vast span of time. In light of the monumental achievements and current challenges of our own species, it does make me thoughtful.


CITIZEN SCIENCE

Entries due soon


No comments:

Post a Comment