Thursday, July 2, 2015

Exoskeleton Technology Could Redefine Disability

One woman’s story illustrates how hope, perseverance and innovative engineering can help people with limited mobility get back on their feet

By THIS IS A PREVIEW.or to access the full article.Already a subscriber or purchased this issue?

I was 24, and I felt invincible. I taught aerobics. I was a sprinter, a long jumper, the former athletics captain of my school and a ballet dancer. I loved to twirl in space, run on the beach and hike through the wilderness.

All of that changed in a split second. In a freak somersault while downhill skiing, I shattered four vertebrae, along with the illusions of my immortality. An electric current zapped through my legs, and then I lost all movement and sensation below my pelvis. I was paralyzed.

THIS IS A PREVIEW.or to access the full article.Already a subscriber or purchased this issue? Buy Digital Issue$5.99 Digital Issue + Subscription$19.99

No comments:

Post a Comment